Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mini Flying Geese Block tutorial

Recently I posted about my baby geese row.  While I was making/sewing my row I took some photos for a tutorial...


These blocks are a great scrap buster!  You will need to different squares,which will give you a total of 4 mini geese blocks.  Your first square needs to measure 3 3/4 inches square ~ your second block needs to measure 3 1/4 inches square.

I hope you do not get confused,as I used a lot of different prints in this tutorial,since I was making my geese.  So if I end up confusing you,I am sorry... but feel free to ask questions if you need to.


We will be marking stitching lines on the larger square (the 3 3/4 inch square).  The smaller square will not need stitching lines.  If you have a 1/2 inch ruler,center it diagonally on the wrong side of the square.  Now mark a line with a pencil or fabric marking pen,on either side of the ruler.

If you do not have a 1/2 inch ruler,use a quilting ruler to mark a line down the center from corner to corner.  Next mark a line 1/4 inch out from the center line.  Do this on both sides of the center line.  So instead of having two lines like I do in the photo above,you will have three lines.


Rotate your block and repeat the above step.  Again if you are not using a 1/2 inch ruler,you will have three lines on the backside of your square.


Now that we have marked our stitching lines,we will be cutting our square into 4 smaller squares.  First we will cut the square exactly in half.  So measure in 1 7/8 from one side and cut the square in half.  Now you will have two rectangles that measure 1 7/8 x 3 3/4 inches.  Note that my smaller square is still untouched.  We will be using it shortly.


Now take your two rectangles and cut them in half,measure in 1 7/8 inches and cut.  Now you should have four (4) 1 7/8 inch squares.


Now,we are ready to use the smaller square.  Take two of the 1 7/8 inch squares and place them right sides together.  Just like in the photo above.  Making sure to line up the stitching lines (they will overlap a little at the center)  Sew on the lines you marked,which are a 1/4 inch away from the center on each side.


This photo shows the stitching and placement of the squares much better.


Cut right down the middle in between your stitching lines.  If you drew three lines then just cut on the center line :)


Press each half towards the two little triangles,just like in the above photo.



Take another one of your 1 7/8 inch squares and place it like this,right sides together on each of your two pieces.  You will again be sewing on the lines you marked previously.



In this photo,you can see my stitching,on the lines I drew earlier.  Now repeat the steps from above.  Cut down the center of the block,or on the center line if you drew one,and press towards the triangle.  You should now have 4 mini/baby geese blocks!




Sew a bunch of these little guys together to make a strip like this.  You can use them in whatever project suits your fancy :)    Hope you were able to follow along,and I didn't confuse you too much!



4 comments:

  1. So cute! I was using this method when I was making my flying geese it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this tutorial. These tiny geese are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhinoceros Crack
    Rhinoceros is a seldom payware computer application software. That is used to design a three-dimensional object.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolby Atmos for Windows 10 the Home represents every sound in the original cinema mix as an audio object. Thanks to expanding Dolby Audio ™ codec and an advanced scalable algorithm, This Website

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers